Wednesday, 22 February 2017

Open Letter From One Mum To Another

 


Dear Other Mums,

I saw you today in the supermarket, with your two little ones. One was screaming for the lollies at the checkout & the other was pulling your skirt demanding attention. I saw the look of embarrassment on your face that screamed "Please God just let us get out of this store and in to the car". I also saw the other mum in the aisle watching & rolling her eyes.

I saw you at the coffee shop with your newborn, you had the same glazed over look that I wear every couple of days. I also saw the working Mum, ready for her day at the office & the way she shook her head in assumption that you had no excuse to be tired.

I saw you in the clothing store. You walked up and down with your pram, trying to find something that would accommodate that 'I just gave birth' figure. I also saw the stylish, well dressed mum with her designer pram look you up & down.

I read your post on Facebook, when you said you’re struggling in the hope that someone could relate & provide a hint of encouragement. I also saw some of the comments that followed from women who know exactly how that feels but were too scared to admit it.

Can I let you in on a secret? I have those days too.

I’ve had that moment where I’m at the shops with my screaming baby and copped the looks from passers-by who have no idea that my child has just been fed, changed and there’s nothing else that I can physically do to meet their needs. They don’t know that my child suffers from reflux and this is the only thing that calms him down when he's in pain.

I’ve had that moment when it’s 3:00am and I’m tired and emotional and I just need to hear encouragement from someone who 'gets it'.

I've had that moment where we have gone out on what was supposed to be a lovely day out for the children but somehow it turns into a frantic stressful day that makes you wonder why you bothered in the 1st place. 

I’ve had that moment when I’m out and about and I see a mum looking oh so fine with her newborn and wonder what planet she came from, because in my world looking like that is not humanly possible.

Why are we so quick to tear each other down? The hardest job I’ve ever had is this one. It’s rewarding and beautiful and the best thing to ever happen to me, but I would be lying if I said it wasn’t hard work. 

We need to stop being so concerned about what people might "think" and being willing to walk up to each other and give a word of encouragement.

Such as........

  • "Ive been there you will get through it"
  • "Your doing an amazing job"
  • "I know it may seem pretty shit right now but things do get better & easier"

Never underestimate the power of one of these said outloud to another mum. It reminds us that we are human, that we are not alone, and that there is hope.

Yours Sincerely 

From One Mum To Another 

X